Browse the code here, or check it out on your machine using this command:
svn co http://tinywebgears-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/simplegae simplegae
These are the steps to get it working on your own box, as outlined in the README file:
- Run install-gae-sdk.sh in order to install appengine-local-runtime (not included in Maven repository).
- Run mvn clean install to compile the application.
- Run run-gae.sh to run the application locally.
- Create a new AppEngine application (here).
- Modify ./simplegae-appengine/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/appengine-web.xml and put in name and version number of your application.
- Run deploy-gae.sh to deploy the application.
One of the biggest impacts of moving to App Engine on your Vaadin application is the fact that your application will end up being serialized/deserialized between requests. As a prerequisite, all your classes must be Serializable. Unsupported features (like polymorphic queries) and some specific requirements (transactions and entity groups) should also be considered.